Evacuation by K.D. McAdams

In EVACUATION, we continue the story of Seamus Robinson and his family as they move among a small band of survivors on Planet Earth’s last days. The ‘killer cold’ virus has wiped out 99.9% of earth’s population. The survivors had been chosen by the powers that be for their knowledge; add to that some folks naturally immune to the virus and you have this little rag-tag band of people looking to keep civilization alive. We join them five months after the apocalyptic event.

The survivors learn that the virus has the power to mutate in order to render the small amount of vaccine left to become useless. The scientists among the group determine that the only way to make Earth habitable once again is to vacate the planet and create a nuclear winter thus killing everything – plants, animals, vegetation – in order to kill the virus. They work feverishly to build an interplanetary craft and identify the nearest habitable planet. Each person spends nearly all their time working to make sure they have everything they need to survive and to re-establish life back on Earth when they return. But then two of their members get sick and die – causing the timetable to be shortened. The virus will not be denied. Will this group be ready in time to avoid certain death? What lies before them? Will they survive the time warp jump that has never before been attempted?

I must admit that like Annihilation (Book 1), this book kept me on the edge of my seat from the opening sentence to the final word. The story is easy to follow, easy to read, and flows from one page to the next. The characters are well-rounded without being too complex. This book, along with the others in The Seamus Chronicles, would be terrific for the entire family. It will appeal to teens, young adults, moms and dads, and those especially interested in post-apocalyptic events.

The moral of this story is that one can never be over-educated – who knows when you might be called upon to save humanity.

Suitable for all ages. Great as a vacation read for the entire family.